Friday, March 29, 2013

The beginning of my dream couch...

I was on Pinterest (I am beyond obsessed) and came across this photo of a patchwork couch and instantly fell in love with it! I decided at that moment that I had to have one! I was just thinking about getting rid of one of our couches so I thought that would be the perfect couch to make my dream a reality! My sister went to school for interior design and I had a bunch of old upholstery samples she had given to me. I also had received a bunch awhile back from my grandma. I decided to pull those samples out and go through them.

This is the first time I have ever attempted to do upholstery. I have never seen anybody do it, I just decided to just go for it and figure it out on the way!  I started taking the cushion apart by CAREFULLY cutting off the cording.. that was a pain let me tell ya!

After I finished cutting the whole cording off I carefully ripped the pieces apart. I wanted to use the existing fabric behind the patchwork to make it a little more sturdy. Some of the upholstery fabric I have is somewhat thin. I sewed pieces together until it was the same size as the cushion pieces I tore apart. (I didn't get a picture of that part) I cut the patchwork to the same size as the existing piece and sewed them together.

I also top stiched on each piece to keep it flat
I only have the cushions done so far... still have a lot to work on. I will keep you updated as I go :-) I also decided to take pictures after I already had one cushion done so I didn't get a picture of the whole couch "before".. darn. I'm still learning about this whole blogging process.

Stay tuned to see the finished couch!

No comments:

Post a Comment